An attractive old seaside market town


For the last 6 years Korsør hosted tourists from 9 cruise ships. The town is situated around a harbour which for centuries has been an important part of its inhabitants' daily life. To move from the southern part of the town to the northern, or vice versa, citizens have to pass over a bridge which at certain times of the day will be raised in order to let ships in or out of the fiord. Boats, vessels, merchant ships and the occasional cruise liner are regular visitors.

Read more

The Town Hall

hallAt the end of Havnegade on the left hand side stands a little grey building which was originally built as a port office and harbour master’s residence. From 1919 to 1941, the house served as the mayor’s office, and it was then a police station until 1984 when it was again taken over by the Municipality of Korsør. From the “turret” at the back of the building the pilot used to be able to look out over the Great Belt and see when a ship was nearing the port – and was thus in need of a pilot. The present town hall cost a total of DKK 779,522 and was opened on November 15th 1941. Take a look inside and see what the town received for its money – a truly beautiful building. Note the fine marble floors and columns. If possible, try to have a look at the Town Council Hall, and see the impressive pictures of “Life in Korsør” as it was at the beginning of the 1940s.

Nankes Plads

Starting at Nankes Plads with Bomhuset – an administrative office for customs and tolls.With a littl...

Algade

On your left ‘Korsør’s Nyboder’ a recent residential scheme built in 2002–03 at Nankes Plads. As the...

Kongegaarden

Further down Algade, you will find “Konge-gaarden”, or The Great Hostelry as it is called in old doc...

Stapels Gaard

Built in 1667, this is the oldest farm in the town, and the last remaining example of the attractive...

Slottensgade

Slottensgade led to Korsør Castle, which has now been demolished. The castle gave the street its nam...

Rosenstræde

A side street leading off Slottensgade. The sweet scent called to mind by the name (which means “Ros...

The Fortress

After a quick tour along the fishing harbour, we have reached Korsør Fortress – also known as the Co...

Jens Baggensen (1764-1826)

The tour continues to “Havnepladsen” (the Harbour Square), where there is a statue of the town’s mos...

The Town Hall

At the end of Havnegade on the left hand side stands a little grey building which was originally bui...

Watch the video


Port of korsoer facts


port

face twit gog vim